• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM5 boot times improve RADICALLY with memory context restore enabled

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-36
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) SHP-9500, custom tube amp, Modi 3 dac
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Asrock's range of steel legend boards for AM5 are the best for fast boot with MCR enabled. Your boot times to windows match mine. But agesa versions may play into this. I'm still on 2.00 bios.

latest BIOS just came out on the 15th non-beta official support for 9000 series. I installed it yesterday actually, its rock solid. 3.10 bios number.

but yeah this is my first ever AsRock board, and I have to say I am very impressed for the price I paid. $179 was a very fair price for this board.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
idk honestly, given how agesa has had 5+ years of basically being held together by twine, I guess nothing is impossible
Is that why my Ryzens perform well, albeit being buggy months ago? I'm still on AM4, so I can't say anything about Raphael.

kiniku

I have 2 32GB sticks of DDR5 Corsair Dominator 5600 memory in my 7900X3D, ASUS X670E-Plus Wi-Fi Tough Gaming. And this has been a nightmare for me. It started with the "slow boots". So, reading around, I decided to enable MCR. Great! Fast, normal, boots again! Until it doesn't post at all. Power on, power off, reset UEFI, doesn't matter. It does not make it to POST, often. And I noticed it occurs after overnight shutdowns/morning power ups. So while troubleshooting this, I disconnected my two DP connected monitors and low and behold, it eventually makes it to post. This is a ridiculous workaround. But it HAS worked when this BS occurs in my mornings. Really, fast(er) boots are great. But having to do this rain dance on many of my mornings is not fun.

Here's what I understand about MCR -apologies to the people that know this already. MCR retains the last successful memory training settings for boot and uses those same settings for every subsequent boot. As we know, that reduces memory training to improve boot speeds. But DDR5 memory training is a complicated process. Especially with 64GB of RAM that I have. Environment factors can impact it. For example, a colder case in the mornings? So what I have decided to do is switch MCR off and live with slower boots. I'd rather my PC power on reliably than deal with this nonsense. I'll try this for a couple weeks and post later on this again.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have 2 32GB sticks of DDR5 Corsair Dominator 5600 memory in my 7900X3D, ASUS X670E-Plus Wi-Fi Tough Gaming. And this has been a nightmare for me. It started with the "slow boots". So, reading around, I decided to enable MCR. Great! Fast, normal, boots again! Until it doesn't post at all. Power on, power off, reset UEFI, doesn't matter. It does not make it to POST, often. And I noticed it occurs after overnight shutdowns/morning power ups. So while troubleshooting this, I disconnected my two DP connected monitors and low and behold, it eventually makes it to post. This is a ridiculous workaround. But it HAS worked when this BS occurs in my mornings. Really, fast(er) boots are great. But having to do this rain dance on many of my mornings is not fun.

Here's what I understand about MCR -apologies to the people that know this already. MCR retains the last successful memory training settings for boot and uses those same settings for every subsequent boot. As we know, that reduces memory training to improve boot speeds. But DDR5 memory training is a complicated process. Especially with 64GB of RAM that I have. Environment factors can impact it. For example, a colder case in the mornings? So what I have decided to do is switch MCR off and live with slower boots. I'd rather my PC power on reliably than deal with this nonsense. I'll try this for a couple weeks and post later on this again.
Exactly. That's why it should be disabled by default, unless it works with your specific memory configuration, which is not guaranteed.

I envy the person whose biggest problem is a 20-second boot time on his PC. :ohwell:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5

I'm 95% sure that while MCR is picky, it's not nearly as picky as what you're suggesting. My 2x32GB Hynix kit has never missed a beat with MCR training on my finalized 6000CL30 profile. It's only when the profile is not entirely stable (6400CL32 that I'm still fighting with because of sporadic errors) that MCR starts crapping out.

In that case, slow boot is definitely better, but it's still not an excuse not to properly verify RAM stability. Right now I do overnight TM5 and then overnight ycruncher VT3.

The harder part about AM5 compared to AM4 is that unlike the latter, memory controller stability is now a real additional factor in addition to RAM and FCLK (whereas it wasn't for 99% of people on AM4). Especially when there is little to no definitive guidance as to the various important voltages.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-36
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) SHP-9500, custom tube amp, Modi 3 dac
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I decided I am stay with EXPO only and default everything, which for this board default is MCR turned on, had 0 issues, so rock on! Going to keep life simple I think. :toast:

Make sure memory power down also enabled

I envy the person whose biggest problem is a 20-second boot time on his PC. :ohwell:

I would say even 10second boot is kinda cringe in this day and age of monster manycore cpus, 100GB/s ram, 7GB/s SSDs. Much better results would be possible If OS was designed for max performance, tuned for latest hardware and not max spying. What we have is little steps and compromise with 30 year old junk.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
I would say even 10second boot is kinda cringe in this day and age of monster manycore cpus, 100GB/s ram, 7GB/s SSDs.
Having grown up on super slow HDDs and Windows 95, I disagree. If I get a 20-second boot time, but my PC is super fast after that, I can live with it.

Much better results would be possible If OS was designed for max performance, tuned for latest hardware and not max spying. What we have is little steps and compromise with 30 year old junk.
Windows being designed for spying is a different matter altogether. And Linux is always there once we've had enough.

Having grown up on super slow HDDs and Windows 95, I disagree. If I get a 20-second boot time, but my PC is super fast after that, I can live with it.

Windows being designed for spying is a different matter altogether. And Linux is always there once we've had enough.

When you put it like that, well yeah. But much more could be done on windows side for performance enthusiasts. You can almost feel all telemetry when opening explorer.

As a matter of fact, just rebooted from archlinux based CatchyOS, try it. Its performance optimized distro, everything that could be done is implemented, x86v4, latest amd cppc things , kernels galore, you name it. BTW its astonishing how fast boot is once ramdisk is loaded or file explorer opening.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
Wow guys thanks for all the replies, didnt think this thread was gonna get all this attention at first. I've been reading all of your comments, im not sure if "power down mode" is enabled or not in my bios, didnt change it at all, just enabled MCR, so i guess it is enabled. Did this just yesterday, so i cant tell if its going to be stable 24/7 or not, as i said ill post here if anything weird happens.

Have to clarify my situation though. I've been having an Asus B650-A Gaming for the last year, with the same 64gb of ram and the EXPO profile enabled. Never enabled MCR in that board, because the boot times were "decent" (around 50 seconds, which is still awful for a pc with a pcie 4.0 7500mb/s m.2 ssd...) but i could deal with it and didnt care that much. But with this msi board it was just unacceptable, over 250 seconds is just too f*cking much. At first i thought it was gonna take that long only on the first boot after building the pc, but the 250 seconds were still there after 3-4 boots.

Just if anyone wants to know, enabling MCR, your XMP or EXPO profile, setting UCLK DIV1 MODE to 1:1 and using the curve optimizer (PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) -> Curve Optimizer set to All Cores -> All Core Curve Optimizer Sign set to Negative -> All Core Curve Optimizer Magnitude set between 5 and 30 (set mine at 20)) is the way to go when dealing with AM5 bios settings if you just want a pretty easy way to optimize your ryzen 7000 build.
Yep, those settings make an easy setup. I have the same but negative 15 on CO.

As an aside, my boot times are 10 seconds or so, so I'm not really getting what the fuss is about. Of course, if there is memory training that is longer but that's usually a once off when upgrading the bios or tinkering.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I think the issue with long boot times is people who don't buy Expo verified DRAM. With that all you have to do is make sure in the BIOS that the first Expo profile will mean faster boot times. If you make the mistake of picking the 2nd Expo profile the memory will do training every single time you boot leading to much longer boot times. I don't even have the fastest RAM(5200 Mt/s) and my 32GB loads in about 7-10 seconds.

System Name Computer
Processor Intel 12700K
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-A
Cooling Twin radiator open loop
Memory Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) eVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2 TB
Display(s) Asus PG348Q and two Asus VN279Q monitors
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000 with Sennheiser HD599 SE
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200P
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Elite RGB Wireless
Keyboard Keychron Q3 Max
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think the issue with long boot times is people who don't buy Expo verified DRAM. With that all you have to do is make sure in the BIOS that the first Expo profile will mean faster boot times. If you make the mistake of picking the 2nd Expo profile the memory will do training every single time you boot leading to much longer boot times. I don't even have the fastest RAM(5200 Mt/s) and my 32GB loads in about 7-10 seconds.
In my case it was EXPO verified and from the MSI compatibility list for that board. I still had to set MCR on to stop the extended training sessions.

Software Windows 10 Pro
When you put it like that, well yeah. But much more could be done on windows side for performance enthusiasts. You can almost feel all telemetry when opening explorer.

As a matter of fact, just rebooted from archlinux based CatchyOS, try it. Its performance optimized distro, everything that could be done is implemented, x86v4, latest amd cppc things , kernels galore, you name it. BTW its astonishing how fast boot is once ramdisk is loaded or file explorer opening.
I don't open Explorer, but the same can be said about Chrome. I'm currently on Windows 10, but reading about changes in all Windows OSes recently, I'm an inch away from waving goodbye and switching to Linux.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

I am currently finishing up a system for someone with 64GB DDR5 6000 and same board as you and MCR and power down enabled has zero impact on boots. Still about 60 sec. I think Asus broke the setting with latest BIOS.

EDIT: LOL nevermind. Booted today in 13 sec. I guess i needed to do a full shut down for it to take

Last edited: