• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arkane Austin and Redfall: what happened?

Supposedly Arkane Austin developed Dishonored, Prey (I'm not sure which one), but they really dropped the ball with the $69 Redfall. The game has mostly negative reviews on steam and Redfall is priced like a AAA title!

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
It is unlikely that we (the general public) will ever know the full behind-the-scenes story as to why this game has turned out to be an abject failure.

However I would put the majority of the blame on the game director along with other senior managers on this project. Bad titles like this are the result of poor decisions being made 2-3 years earlier for key elements like storyline, characters, visual design, combat mechanics, overall gameplay, etc., most of which cannot be fixed by a patch.

It was likely apparent to key Arkane and Bethesda managers a year ago that they had laid a turd. They decided to go ahead with the title as is because tossing everything out and starting over would have been too expensive and time consuming.

Pricing it at $70 retail was ballsy however they also put it on Xbox Game Pass on day 1 which is the 2023 equivalent of a film going straight to video. My guess is some people will play it with their Xbox Game Pass subscription a couple of times then move on to something else.

I expect to see this type of massive failure more frequently in the upcoming years. The gaming community has low standards which continue to drop year after year. If the industry really cared, Cyberpunk 2077 would have been the last massive failure. But no, the video game industry is comfortable pumping out garbage because they know a certain segment of the marketplace will happily pay for it.

When things start going south, the best and the brightest are the first to leave (this is definitely not specific to the video game industry). So likely Arkane Austin's best employees left this sinking ship and those behind were stuck pulling the galley oars, many whom probably needed to finish the project to put on their resumés.

So there's some reasonable speculation for your otherwise unanswerable question.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity was Deus Ex: Mankind Divided a failure from a profit standpoint as well?

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Just out of curiosity was Deus Ex: Mankind Divided a failure from a profit standpoint as well?

I have no idea. I do not have access to that game developer's books. Or any game company's accounting files for that matter.

The Mankind Divided main developer was Eidos-Montreal (published by Square Enix Europe) not Arkane Austin though so a totally different team. However there were other companies involved in the development: Nixxes, Feral Interactive, and General Arcade. My assumption is that profitability varied for each company.

Publishers typically do not disclose net profit. They will use general vague terms ("it sold beyond our expectations!") without disclosing costs.

Feel free to contact Square Enix for clarification. Start with the PR or investor relations department. If they divulge financial performance on individual game titles, they will let you know or point you to the proper location for that information. If it is publicly available, a search engine probably indexed it years ago but I will not play Internet search engine on your behalf.

Last edited:
What kind of profit margins do games publishers expect on AAA titles? Millions? Tens of millions?

ir_cow

Staff member
Another story of a game being pushed out before its ready. M$ clearly had a firm deadline.... It kinda seems like the game just left Alpha and is ready for the main development stage.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Clearly games these days need to use vast amounts of VRAM to be good anyway apparently.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
I mean most games now seem to be games as a service, they release it and then improve it over time. I have about 6 hours in on Redfall myself and I don't think it is as bad all these reviewers make it out to be. Granted I have it through Game Pass. It's probably been 10 years at least since games were full fledged and released complete. I mean games even have planned DLC that they can nickel and dime you over when it should have been in the game in the first place.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
What kind of profit margins do games publishers expect on AAA titles? Millions? Tens of millions?

For AAA Titles I would say tens of millions profit is an absolute minimum. Looking at Activision with COD sales they make hundreds of millions of dollars profit every year on the new COD. EA cancelled Dead Space 4 because DS3 didn't meet EA's expectations of 5 million units sold. Cyberpunk 2077 has sold 20 million copies. The king of all AAA titles has sold 175 million copies of GTA5 and who knows how many Shark Cards. We're talking billions of dollars profit on GTA5. Developing games and marketing them are very expensive but most Publishers make a lot of profit on them.

@64K
Wow, I never knew. I remember reading the gaming industry had long since surpassed the movie industry in profits, but I never realized by how much.

Maybe I should invest some $$$ in Rockstar before they come out with GTAVI!

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Redfall is like a frozen meal being microwaved less than its supposed to be and the outside is nice and hot but inside is still frozen

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
There's a lot of videos of the game on reddit, it really seems that the developers were in a rush to finish it, leaving a lot of bugs and flaws

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Prey and dishonered (great games) didn't make millions so they decided they needed to do multiplayer games (they said so), so now they are in a even worst position releasing crap game after crap game. Bethesda/MS will probably shut them down and disband them soon to other projects. Can't say i'm sorry for them.

What happened is that Bethesda execs did not want another dishonored/prey as they did not meet their profilts targets, so they asked for a generic online loot game that you can put micro transaction into because that's what made money when development started. If you look for it deathloop has those same characteristics but arkane lyon was able to make a game out of it.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Microsoft to Arkane: Make a Game.
what about a farcry like looter shooter with vampires. we need around 4-5 years and x million dollars.

sounds awful... alright here is 1/3 of the money that you need and the deadline is in 18 months...
...Redfail releases

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
When I watch the trailer, I mostly feel Dishonored vibes. The atmosphere, soundtrack, characters and even the fonts has many resemblence with Dishonored. Will definitely play no matter what the authorities say. Waiting for Skidrow!

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-115mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
Tried it yesterday since I have an active game pass almost till the end of 2023 and the game was 'partially' marketed as a looter shooter which is one of my fav genres.
Well its not exactly what I was expecting, maybe it gets better at a higher level and whatnot but I don't really feel like getting there in its current state.

Even if I ignore the technical issues it has currently 'it stutters a lot on my end with bad GPU % usage at certain areas for no apparent reason' I'm just not sure what this game is trying to be.:confused:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Supposedly Arkane Austin developed Dishonored, Prey (I'm not sure which one), but they really dropped the ball with the $69 Redfall. The game has mostly negative reviews on steam and Redfall is priced like a AAA title!

probably too much partying, Austin is a party city now, and it used not to be. lol

also complacency destroys everyone eventually.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Tried it yesterday since I have an active game pass almost till the end of 2023 and the game was 'partially' marketed as a looter shooter which is one of my fav genres.
Well its not exactly what I was expecting, maybe it gets better at a higher level and whatnot but I don't really feel like getting there in its current state.

Even if I ignore the technical issues it has currently 'it stutters a lot on my end with bad GPU % usage at certain areas for no apparent reason' I'm just not sure what this game is trying to be.:confused:

Looter shooter with a brain, some elements of story, i think that was the objective. At this point they are a company that still wants to make smart games but needs to do them for dumb people / people that don't want to think. This is the result :D

I think they would be better off picking a lane at this point, and stopping the hybrid approach. People that want looter shooter don't want to think, and people that want rich story gameplay don't want looter shooters.

Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Looter shooter with a brain, some elements of story, i think that was the objective. At this point they are a company that still wants to make smart games but needs to do them for dumb people / people that don't want to think. This is the result :D

I think they would be better off picking a lane at this point, and stopping the hybrid approach. People that want looter shooter don't want to think, and people that want rich story gameplay don't want looter shooters.

I loved the first Dishonored and plan to play the second too.
2017 Prey already wasn't my cup of tea, I'm not a fan of running around collecting materials to craft my stuff and whatnot.
Looter shooters do require thinking but only at the end game level where if you want your build to work properly you need to understand how the game and your skills/synergies work,etc. 'same as ARPGs'

Redfall gives me some weird vibe of Far Cry with Vampires and some loot on the side but with a more cautious gameplay style. 'tho I would have to see a high level gameplay to judge that part'
Dunno I might check it again later the year before my game pass expires but for now I have better games to play than this.:oops:

Clearly games these days need to use vast amounts of VRAM to be good anyway apparently.
It looks slightly better than Dishonored 2, that game barely uses 4GB of vRAM. I saw a benchmark where a 4090 used 17GB of VRAM with this game.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I loved the first Dishonored and plan to play the second too.
2017 Prey already wasn't my cup of tea, I'm not a fan of running around collecting materials to craft my stuff and whatnot.
Looter shooters do require thinking but only at the end game level where if you want your build to work properly you need to understand how the game and your skills/synergies work,etc. 'same as ARPGs'

Redfall gives me some weird vibe of Far Cry with Vampires and some loot on the side but with a more cautious gameplay style. 'tho I would have to see a high level gameplay to judge that part'
Dunno I might check it again later the year before my game pass expires but for now I have better games to play than this.:oops:

I think peak Arkane was dishonored death of the outsider, maybe not for everyone, but i loved it. Just like Hitman you can do whatever you want to get it done, so much freedom and great level design. Not so much of a story but i loved it.

Borderlands for me is the best looter shooter, i love the mechanics, i would prefer a better story like the first games, but i still enjoy just mindless shooting and looting.

Software Windows 10 Pro
Borderlands for me is the best looter shooter, i love the mechanics, i would prefer a better story like the first games, but i still enjoy just mindless shooting and looting.

Same here, I've actually went back to BL 3 for a last rodeo with a Fl4k cause thats the last char I'm missing at max lvl so thats what I'm playing now.
I guess I would have to play Redfall with a different mindset to actually enjoy it but I'm not sure if I have the patience for that.

Dishonored 2+Death of the outsider is definitely on my list to play tho.:) 'I did try Dishonored 2's demo when I had my RX 570, it was pretty good from what I remember just never got to play the full game'

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
Runs smooth on my 3080 at max eye candy, no VRAM issue, gameplay is like deathloop, prey and any other vamp/loot/explore genre, just can't get excited about it.

Runs smooth on my 3080 at 1440p max eye candy, no VRAM issue, gameplay is like deathloop, prey and any other vamp/loot/explore genre, just can't get excited about it.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Unfortunately Arkane is swirling down the toilet bowl. Asking $70 for this turd is a damn joke. Don't buy this game right now. Wait to see if it ever gets properly patched and polished. According to the other site that I trust for unbiased reviews besides TPU:

Game crashes when trying to log onto the server.
Traversal stutters are even worse than Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.
Graphics are really bad.
Dynamic Shadows look bad.
Major pop-ins.
Objects change their detail quality right in front of you.
Lighting is subpar.

The only good thing that the author found in his performance review was that the game ran significantly faster on AMD GPUs for those that are running one.