• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Hits Highest-Ever x86 CPU Market Share in Q1 2024 Across Desktop and Server

Processor AMD 7600x
Motherboard Asrock x670e Steel Legend
Cooling Silver Arrow Extreme IBe Rev B with 2x 120 Gentle Typhoons
Memory 4x16Gb Patriot Viper Non RGB @ 6000 30-36-36-36-40
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT MERC 319
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 1Tb NVME
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2414h
Case Coolermaster Stacker 832
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower PF3 850 watt
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
AMD need their own fabs, but it will never happen, they just don't have the funds to do it. People poke fun at Intel woes with its fabs, but at least they have them, and they have the cash to buy production from TSMC. At some point Intel will fix the woes with their fabs and that will make AMDs problems worse.
AMD had their own fabs and it nearly killed them outright

TSMC has put 40 Billion dollars into their Arizona operation for 2 operation Fabs with one of them only coming online in 2027. AMD would have to spend their next decades INCOME to even match that let alone their profits.

Why are you so desperate? Show us the top 20 from the Netherlands. It's telling when you look into SKUs:
- the second place is...i3-12100. A flagship Intel in the Netherlands.
- in the top 20, there are only 6 Intel CPUs, two 14th Gen (i5, i7) and three from 12th Gen (i5, i5, i7). None from 13th Gen. No single i9...
- in the top 20, there are 6 Zen4 CPUs, including several R9, both vanilla and X3D

Thank you very much. Give us some more screenshots from Amazon, but think about it first before you post it.

Please do elaborate and provide facts on your prior argument that Intel is more stable and reliable. Let's see the basis for such a statement instead of more fallacies.
He has none. But Intel does have a lot of instability issues in recent months... We are eagerly waiting for the outcomes of their official and global invetigation into this issue.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Nvidia, AMD, Qualcomm, MediaTek, Broadcom, Apple and others are "doomed" without their own fabs? Open your eyes dude...
They're not doomed, we are. Look what happened in the last few years when demand for chips went through the roof, everybody wanted more fab space, had to pretty much bid for it and we're still paying the higher prices as a result. As a consequence, the world has (finally) started talking about building more fabs and not necessarily halfway around the world. It will be years before we reap any rewards, but I bet anyone on your list, save maybe Apple, wishes now they had their own fab.
AMD had their own fabs and it nearly killed them outright
Because they mismanaged it, not because having a fab kills you.

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory DDR5 6000Mhz CL28 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Palit GamingPro OC
Storage Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen.4 1TB
Last edited:
Good for them. They deserve it. Well they probably deserve even more in the server market.

ARF

Not all of them. Some have really dodgy names, such as 5700, which is Cezanne APU for desktop with 16MB of L3.

I don't see anything "dodgy". Ryzen 7 5700 fits exactly between Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 7 5700X.
The size of the cache has little influence over the overall performance, here and there some apps may witness boosts, more rarely rather than often.

FYI:

ARF

Its actually more the bean counters. You could pickup Hp/Dell/Lenovos with Intels for cheaper than the "equivalent" AMD for a long time.

IT: "But AMDs have better battery life"
Beancounter: "Most people use them plugged in the office and the Intel ones are $/£30-50 cheaper a unit"
IT: "But AMDs are a better choice"
Beancounter: "It is 5-6 figures extra to replace our fleet with AMD vs Intel, you somehow justify that 6 figure difference in productivty etc then we will consider it, otherwise Intel it is"

I wonder why AMD doesn't decrease its prices for the large OEMs, with the condition to buy only AMD. :D

I don't see anything "dodgy". Ryzen 7 5700 fits exactly between Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 7 5700X.
The size of the cache has little influence over the overall performance, here and there some apps may witness boosts, more rarely rather than often.
Hardware unboxed for you. It's even slower than R5 5600 non-X. This APU should have NEVER been called "5700". Nonsense. It's 5700F

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I think at least part of this is probably the life of servers. I imagine they build them with an expected in-service lifetime, and there would have to be a really big cost-benefit to retool before then. I bet it's at least 5 years before anything other than storage gets even considered for replacement.
There's a bigger issue. Most places run the majority of servers virtually, with only the hypervisors as actual hardware. Most rotate hypervisors in and out on that 5 year plan.

Except, every VM manager out there will warn you of the problems switching a virtual host live from intel to AMD or vice versa. So unless you buck the upgrade schedule and do them ALL at once, you stick with intel. The further AMD pulls ahead and the better their software gets, the more switch to AMD EPYC, but it is a very slow process.

Just goes to show what a thing "mindshare" is and how badly perception can hurt a business.

AMD has been firing on all cylinders since 2016 and Zen 1, 8 years, and they've at best made a dent in Intel's hegemony.

Imagine how impeccable AMD's execution would have to be in their secondary GPU unit to make similar inroads against Nvidia...
zen 1 was neat as an enthusiast, but on a per core basis, it took until zen 2 before AMD was comparable and zen 3 for them to supersede intel in performance. In mobile, AMD's first gen of APUs was a total flop, between higher power use, poor CPU performance, and of course trying to send GPU driver support to OEMs instead of doing it themselves, tarnishing AMD's name with garbage drivers and pissing OEMs off.

Then there's other things, like intel has multiple motherboards they design around their CPUs that OEMs can use in their own hardware or buy and modify for their needs. AMD, until recently, did not do this, and still doesnt compare to intels options.

Processor AMD 7600x
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
I prefer to take AMD's word over some random internet guy who is a representative of no-one knows who...
Then you need to realise that the big manufacturers best interests is not being 100% truthful to users. Its to make Shareholders money. Also when you do the research you notice the difference is mainly the 50% L3 cache cut...........which is also where the X3Ds GAIN their performance over the normal parts as they have 200% more.

The 5700 (Non-X) is akin to Nvidia doing the DDR4/DDR3 cards back in the day

Also Passmark is a 1 dimensional showing of CPU performance. All of these are 8 core 16thread parts with similar clock speeds. Just the L3 cache is different
1715465350078.png

Passmarks shows a ~15% difference between the three

Where as in games
1715465519947.png

Its over 30% and the big thing is that in the 1% lows its get up near 50%. This isnt the only example of this difference.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Corporations need to employ more IT people who are more knowledgeable about AMD's battery efficiency and wider laptop choices.

Around 20 years of data up to 2021

I am glad to see that AMD is picking up market share. Intel needs to really take advantage of their Foveros technology ASAP to try and get a technological lead over AMD again.

Its actually more the bean counters. You could pickup Hp/Dell/Lenovos with Intels for cheaper than the "equivalent" AMD for a long time.

IT: "But AMDs have better battery life"
Beancounter: "Most people use them plugged in the office and the Intel ones are $/£30-50 cheaper a unit"
IT: "But AMDs are a better choice"
Beancounter: "It is 5-6 figures extra to replace our fleet with AMD vs Intel, you somehow justify that 6 figure difference in productivty etc then we will consider it, otherwise Intel it is"
There's more to it, I'm afraid. I work at a large enough company, and I deal with procurement with large non-IT contracts occasionally. Cost certainly matters, but they are usually looking at multi-year deals. I suspect with IT, it's about support and supply as much as it is cost. There's probably also some discounts offered by sticking to one brand. The result is my slow and hot i7 Z-book with its 2 measly overworked P-cores.

There's a bigger issue. Most places run the majority of servers virtually, with only the hypervisors as actual hardware. Most rotate hypervisors in and out on that 5 year plan.

Except, every VM manager out there will warn you of the problems switching a virtual host live from intel to AMD or vice versa. So unless you buck the upgrade schedule and do them ALL at once, you stick with intel. The further AMD pulls ahead and the better their software gets, the more switch to AMD EPYC, but it is a very slow process.
Yeah, this was what I couldn't articulate, but it makes sense. Even though they are both x86, there are differences between AMD and Intel when it comes to feature implementation. It's just not a simple switch. I suspect most of AMD's wins are either in-place AMD to AMD upgrades, or new buildouts. Stuff that's already Intel might be a taller order for switching over, especially places like data centers with racks and racks of nodes, which are going to be big orders, if/when they order.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Nvidia, AMD, Qualcomm, MediaTek, Broadcom, Apple and others are "doomed" without their own fabs? Open your eyes dude...

Did you even read what i said? does not look like it. "you are doomed with no supply" I never said anything about not having your own fabs dooms you, i said if you are getting your wafers from someone else and they have a problem causing the supply to stop you are doomed, read again, maybe english is not your primary language. Maybe open your own eyes dude.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
There's more to it, I'm afraid. I work at a large enough company, and I deal with procurement with large non-IT contracts occasionally. Cost certainly matters, but they are usually looking at multi-year deals. I suspect with IT, it's about support and supply as much as it is cost. There's probably also some discounts offered by sticking to one brand. The result is my slow and hot i7 Z-book with its 2 measly overworked P-cores.
In our case, we have a Dell rep, because we use dell servers, so of course we also use Dell laptops and desktops. Dell famously does not like AMD nor really uses them. Frankly HP's options overall are very meh. Lenovo is about the only major OEM with good business contracts that widely supports AMD business machines.
Yeah, this was what I couldn't articulate, but it makes sense. Even though they are both x86, there are differences between AMD and Intel when it comes to feature implementation. It's just not a simple switch. I suspect most of AMD's wins are either in-place AMD to AMD upgrades, or new buildouts. Stuff that's already Intel might be a taller order for switching over, especially places like data centers with racks and racks of nodes, which are going to be big orders, if/when they order.
New build-outs yes, existing no, since AMD had effectively 0 server market-share prior to zen. Bulldozer just didnt work and AMD pulled out of the market for several years.

As EPYC matures as a platform, and its performance improves, there's enough to convince groups to bite the bullet. We almost did at work, but in the end stability was priority. We did buy a pair of EPYC servers to run our SQL servers on, since they are so I/O heavy we dont put them on the hypervisor. So far they have blown away expectations thanks to the massive cache of the 9384x. That might be enough to convince management on the next go around.

Processor AMD 7600x
Mouse Logitech G502 (OG)
Keyboard Logitech G512
As EPYC matures as a platform, and its performance improves, there's enough to convince groups to bite the bullet. We almost did at work, but in the end stability was priority. We did buy a pair of EPYC servers to run our SQL servers on, since they are so I/O heavy we dont put them on the hypervisor. So far they have blown away expectations thanks to the massive cache of the 9384x. That might be enough to convince management on the next go around.
This is what I think will push the growth in AMDs share over the next 12-36 months, is when people hear about these sorts of things in Sysadmin/Infra circles where people who "tested" or "experimented" with a few AMD systems and were pleasently suprised will get higher ups asking the questions from their VARS "what about an AMD setup?" or asking for quotes both Intel and AMD setups.

In our case, we have a Dell rep, because we use dell servers, so of course we also use Dell laptops and desktops. Dell famously does not like AMD nor really uses them. Frankly HP's options overall are very meh. Lenovo is about the only major OEM with good business contracts that widely supports AMD business machines.
I suspect a small bit of it as well was a lot of the early 3rd and 4th Gen EPYC were just bought up straight off the line for things like AWS/GCP/Azure etc so they never really hit the "consumer/SI" markets until well into their product cycles.

So quotes for intel were like "Available for Immediately Delivery" and the AMD quotes were weeks/months on backorder

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

New build-outs yes, existing no, since AMD had effectively 0 server market-share prior to zen. Bulldozer just didnt work and AMD pulled out of the market for several years.

This is what I think will push the growth in AMDs share over the next 12-36 months, is when people hear about these sorts of things in Sysadmin/Infra circles where people who "tested" or "experimented" with a few AMD systems and were pleasently suprised will get higher ups asking the questions from their VARS "what about an AMD setup?" or asking for quotes both Intel and AMD setups.

I suspect a small bit of it as well was a lot of the early 3rd and 4th Gen EPYC were just bought up straight off the line for things like AWS/GCP/Azure etc so they never really hit the "consumer/SI" markets until well into their product cycles.

So quotes for intel were like "Available for Immediately Delivery" and the AMD quotes were weeks/months on backorder
Yeah, and mission critical + risk--even if it's a really low risk, can be a hard sell in the corporate world. Many companies can be pretty happy with status quo, and it takes a brave and motivated set of employees to really push things and be willing to "take the risk" and deal with any issues that come from that. The fat and happy folks are more often willing to just kick the can down the road. In my job, I'm fortunate to have a boss that likes to push things, and if we try something new and it fails, he's willing to accept that and just pivot. We aren't in IT, but the mindset is what matters, whatever the org.

I prefer to take AMD's word over some random internet guy who is a representative of no-one knows who...
Like their 7900XT/XTX pre-release slides showing "simulated" performance metrics which were all BS. I trust no company.

Honestly, I am a bit surprised a vendor hasn't come around to only or largely only offer AMD products. Back in 2021 I was ordering a bunch of servers from Dell. Dell's AMD PowerEdge offerings were limited. But for those systems, and comparing to Intel, I was like "why the hell would anyone buy Intel. They'd be dumb". The AMD systems were thousands of dollars cheaper. Like I could buy 6 AMD PowerEdge servers that were better in all specs (PSU, Memory. SSDs, processors and core counts) for what I could buy 2 or 3 Intel based servers. Some of the lower end systems I got with AMD, they would be $3,000, spec'd better than a $5,000 Intel based system and that Intel system would still have software raid while the AMD builds did not.

Honestly, I am a bit surprised a vendor hasn't come around to only or largely only offer AMD products. Back in 2021 I was ordering a bunch of servers from Dell. Dell's AMD PowerEdge offerings were limited. But for those systems, and comparing to Intel, I was like "why the hell would anyone buy Intel. They'd be dumb". The AMD systems were thousands of dollars cheaper. Like I could buy 6 AMD PowerEdge servers that were better in all specs (PSU, Memory. SSDs, processors and core counts) for what I could buy 2 or 3 Intel based servers. Some of the lower end systems I got with AMD, they would be $3,000, spec'd better than a $5,000 Intel based system and that Intel system would still have software raid while the AMD builds did not.
Dell, for whatever reason, were always the type who just doesn't change. It took them a long time to even have AMD options.

System Name GameStation
Processor AMD R5 5600X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550
Cooling Artic Freezer II 120
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900 XTX
Storage 2 TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Elite 120
I’m still waiting for the day that I get issued an AMD machine at work. I think Intel still really has the corporate world locked up.
For that to happen, AMD needs to reach out to the DOJ to recheck intel and dell guilty verdicts.

Plus to bribe OEMs, because it looks like performance alone its simply not enough.

Dont get me started on the bribed youtube influencers and their free 4090’s…

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) RTX3090
Storage 512GB, 2TB NVMe + 2TB SATA || 32TB spinning rust
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech G913
Software win 11 amd64
I've bought 400 HP Probook/Elite Books over the past 3 years all Intel hardware. The amount of issues I've had with the Intel wireless chipset is mind blogging. This is them connecting to Cisco APs in which Cisco certified the chipset. I would certainly be opening to exploring AMD if they came with a Qualcomm chipset and I'm looking into the Qualcomm Elite chips coming out soon. I budget to replace 20% of my fleet at a 5 year depreciation.

yeah, it is a problem, switching to aruba APs mostly solved the issues.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Looking at these graphs, it really bothers me that AMD got arrogant and raised its prices on Zen 4. If they want the gold, they need to make sure Zen 5 outperforms anything Intel can overclock, and then price it cheaper. That would explode their market share. AM5 + Zen 4 + DDR5 was so much higher priced than AM4/Zen 3, it slowed their market gains momentum, and only sold reasonably well due to its performance.

AMD needs a strategy rethink. Time to make modest profits to gain market share, then start turning the screws after you have the majority.

Looking at these graphs, it really bothers me that AMD got arrogant and raised its prices on Zen 4. ... AMD needs a strategy rethink. Time to make modest profits to gain market share, then start turning the screws after you have the majority.
Yes. If AMD had smart shareholders, the best strategy is to limit profits to gain as large market share as possible.

Is it in today corporate world even possible to execute any real business strategy?

I don't believe the gap is still that big in the desktop space. In the server and IT space its understandable, its a very slow upgrade process and they generally tend to stick with what they know, but in the desktop space I would image it would be more like 50%-50% in terms of market share these past few years. The Ryzen 5000 series were extremely successful and are still to this day selling like hot cakes!

I think this data might not be complete and fully accurate, there is no way AMD is still lagging 40% behind Intel in the desktop space, all of the big online retailers have Ryzen processors in the top 10 bestsellers
I think you mean, no way AMD is lagging that far behind in the DIY space. IT buys desktops too (think smaller than shoebox size desktops given to 1000s of hospital employees for example) in far greater volumes than individual rig builders.

AMD and Intel are about 50/50 among us enthusiasts but its a very very small piece of the market pie.